Pages

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Notebooks

Hey! I'm posting again! Finally! It's been almost a month and I have no excuse for not posting. I'm sure if I thought really hard I could think of one, but you don't come here to listen to my excuses, you come to read about writing! If you're not, well... I don't know what to say to that.

I have a notebook that I carry around almost all the time. When I have to wait at a train station or my fast food is not fast, then I can whip it out and work on the latest chapter to some story I'm working on or jot down funny things people say. I'm serious, I actually do write down funny things people say (or I think of). Sure, you hear about writers doing this, and it sounds like a good idea. But in the moment, you figure "that's too much work I'll remember it later". Been there, done that. But do you know what happened? I didn't. I FORGOT!
I decided that those writers must have a memory that doesn't remember things, just like mine! And since I started carrying a notebook I have written down some pretty awesome stuff. And a lot of it has been going into stories.
Another thing to jot down is anything that inspires you! The most random of things can spark a story. For instance, remember Lemon Crayon?  That idea came from a conversation with my dad. It was his idea, but I wrote the story. I've come up with a lot of other stuff like that from random little things.

I hope all of this has convinced you to start carrying a notebook around with you! It comes in more handy than you would think! Take my word for it.

1 comment:

  1. It's good to hear from you again! I always find what you post helpful to my writing.

    ReplyDelete

Search