Pages

Friday, May 21, 2010

What's in a name?




"You know, you're pretty fortunate." Mrs. Lisa Hale said to her 14 year old daughter, Gweneth. "Not every kid gets to live biking distance from their cousins. Especially cousins the same age." "I know. I'm just saying that that Calvin and Moriah get on my nerves sometimes," Gweneth replied half-apologetically. Lisa Hale sighed. "Well deal with it. Why don't you go over to Aunt Sue and Uncle Kelly's house and help with the barbecue?" Young Miss Hale nodded and walked down the creaky porch steps in her neon green flip-flops. Her long dark hair was in a pony tail, which waved in the wind. Her dark green eyes burned because of the smoke coming from people's campfires. She coughed as she rode her metallic purple bike down streets and back roads. She waved at the neighbors, Mrs. Annie Green and little Lucy Howard,watering the flowers. Gweneth smiled at one of her friends named Daniel Bradly. He ran up to her bike. She stopped. "What's up, Dan?" He panted. "What time is your aunt and uncle's barbecue? I was invited yesterday." "Four O'clock" She replied. "Okay, thanks!" Daniel ran back to his house. Gweneth got to Aunt Sue and Uncle Kelly's shortly after.

"Hey Gwen!" Gweneth rolled her eyes, she hated to be called Gwen. "What took you so long?" "You were expecting me?" Calvin, Gweneth's 15 year old cousin shook his head. "No, but I thought I'd mess with you." Moriah Watters came running out of Calvin's house. "Hi Gweneth! Guess what your name means!" "Um, Princess?" "Nope! It means 'blessed'. My name means 'God is my teacher'." Gweneth, who was rather tall, peered over Moriah's shoulder. "What does Calvin's name mean?" Moriah shrugged, hitting Gweneth's chin with her shoulder. "I don't know, this book only has girl's names. Do you know what your name means Cal?" Calvin rolled his eyes. "My name means.... bald." The two girls laughed. "Really?" "Yeah."

-Vladimir Malcolm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search