Pages

Friday, June 4, 2010

Writing a paragraph

Today I encourage you to something that you may find difficult: write a paragraph. Not any old paragraph. I want you to to find a small object, a bland object. Take it and examine it. Think about the texture, the colour, the shape, even the smell! Now put it away and DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES LOOK AT IT UNTIL YOU FINISH THIS ASSIGNMENT!!! Now get out your notebook and a pencil (never a pen). You are now going to write a seven sentence paragraph on this object. Make sure it is exciting and it praises your little object.

Start with a good outline:

I. pen cap
a. What a pen cap is used for
b. why a pen cap is important
c. what does the pen can look like
d. how has a pen cap helped me
e. how has it hurt me
f. why I shouldn't lose my pen cap
g. Closing sentence: restate something

Of course you don't have to do it just like I did. Even if you chose to write about a pen cap!

Now write your paragraph:

The pen cap is rather self-explanatory, it is used to can pens. Pen caps are important because they keep your pens from drying out. These helpful little things are usually a matching colour to your pen and are made of a rough plastic. When I need to write something important, such as a check, the pen cap keeps my pen from drying out. I have hurt my self on a pen cap by stepping on it. I shouldn't lose my pen cap because my pens will dry out and I won't be able to sign checks or legal documents. The pen cap is often taken for granted, I will no longer forget about the importance of the pen cap.

Now that was pretty rough, but it was just to give you an idea. So try it out and see what you come up with!

Next week: the haiku

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search