Pages

Monday, June 14, 2010

Short story #2:

This story seems like it was chopped down, like there was more to it. If I was writing this for something other than a blog post, it would be more professional. I didn't want to make it so long that people would just skim through. I hope you will enjoy the story anyways!

Sheriff Austin Grimm stood next to his deputy, Harry Becker. The Sheriff was a tall man who didn't talk much. He was strong, swift and cunning. Harry, on the other hand, was quite the opposite. A little man who talked whenever there was something to say. He was strong like the Sheriff, but his experience as deputy was lacking. The Sheriff was bent over a piece of paper and Deputy Becker was standing next to him. "Well what do you think Harry?" The Sheriff asked. He stood to his full height of six feet six inches. Harry shrugged. "Well don't know sir. It seems kinda mean to let a kid have yer job, but I ain't the mayor, I don't call the shots." He sighed. He couldn't stand the thought of having his boss leave.
Sure Mr. Grimm wasn't the youngest guy around, but he sure knew his job. "What do you think,as a man, not a deputy?" Harry chuckled. "Well sir, I think you know the job better than anyone! I think the mayor's outta his mind to get rid of the best Sheriff this town's ever had! Plus, you and me have become pretty good friends over the years. If you was to retire, well I wouldn't just loose my boss, I'd loose my pal." The Sheriff smiled. Harry was the only person who could make him do so. "What are you gonna do sir?" Harry asked, taking his cowboy hat off. There was a long pause before the Sheriff spoke again. He started to pace.
"Harry, I've had this job for twenty years now. I am fifty years old. I think the mayor might be right about me bein' to old to have this job. I can't do things like I used to. My back's gettin' stiff and I want to see my daughter more. She's just about to get married ya know. I think I'm goin' to move away. I ain't movin' to far away, just to Oakridge, only fifteen miles from here. And I'll write too. I think it's time for me to move away. Harry, I haven't told you, but I've been prayin' about this for a while now, I believe that the Good Lord is tellin' me to go."
Harry didn't say anything right away. It took him a few seconds but he smiled and nodded. "Go Austin, don't let me keep you neither." And so Austin Grimm left to tell the mayor that he would indeed retire, and he lived a happy rest of his life.
The End

-Vladimir

1 comment:

  1. That was actually really good. Way better than expected. It had a real Literature Textbook feel to it. It did seem like it was missing something off of the end of it though.

    ReplyDelete

Search