Pages

Thursday, July 8, 2010

A very, very long and ALMOST pointless post.

I have just started chapter two of Distorted Notions. Chapter one is called broken homes start with broken minds and chapter two is called stone cold confusion. These titles seem kind of dark, don't they? Lately I've noticed my writing has been leaning towards a Twilight Zone style. Not to be confused with Twilight. I love switching gears on my writing when I'm stuck or bored with something. Blogging is a more informal writing style, which can be very relaxing after banging my head against the keyboard.
Now for something else I would like to talk about. The schools in my area are starting school in barely over a month. So naturally, I have been paying more attention to the sales at office max. Other things that come with school are trying to remember what you've learned before this Summer. Which is why an article about some of the most often misspelled words caught my eye. Surprisingly, the words young and cloth were on there. Which got me thinking: How much of that is because of spell check? I write quickly, which means I make lots of careless mistakes. So I am guilty of not using my brain. I have trouble memorizing things that aren't random and strange, which is really fun when I have a test in school.
Another thing about school: you do use it in life. Every year when I look at writing assignments from the beginning of the year to the e
nd of the year, I notice that little things like strong words and sentence structure makes your writing sound a lot better. If you say: "well I know I'll use it in life, but it's not like I'll be graded  on it". Well, you kind of will be. Whether you end up writing a book, or getting an office job, there will be pressure that seems very similar to being graded.
Writing is an important skill to have. If you're good at it, then you have a talent. If you like it, you're blessed. Writing applies to so many things! Speaking, poetry, reading, understanding, thinking. It's amazing how something like that is so important. For every book there is, someone had to write it.
Now what does speaking have to do with it? The more you write and learn about writing, the more you will understand the English language and how to use it best. What words sound good together, how you want people to understand what you're saying. If you write a lot, chances are you have a vocabulary and style for your writing. Chances are, part o
f that writing style will become your speaking style. When I write a blog or a journal entry, I write like I talk. When I write a story I write like I speak.
Poetry has been talked about several times on Words on a Page. Why? Because it's one of the most vaguely beautiful things you can write. I can't stand poetry. Which does not mean I don't appreciate the art, or the artists who create it. I can't write poetry, and I am extremely self conscious when I have to show someone a poem I wrote. I also have trouble interpreting poetry. In school, I hated it more than math (no offence to math fans out there). "Do you think that the poet meant he was tired, or flying in a moonlit sky?" I thought the poet meant what he wrote! I wanted to say that, but it's not a good idea to be a smart alec in school.... or anywhere else for that matter.
How does writing help with reading? Reading and writing could be compared to monkeys. At this point you would probably lean back in your chair and try to comprehend this. They are like monkeys because monkeys help each other with cleaning their fur. Still don't get it? A monkey has been playing around where ever this particular monkey lives with his monkey family. And this monkey, we'll call him Bill, is covered in bugs now. So his monkey friend George comes and clean the monkeys fur by eating the bugs. In turn, Bill does the same for George. Writing and reading are like friends who help each other clean up the other. When you read, you're learning, sometimes without realizing it, how to write well. By taking in all sorts of properly spelled words, interesting characters, and even little things that the author did that you don't like. By writing, you can pick apart what you're reading and further understand it.

Three paragraphs ago, when you saw that I said writing helps thinking. Any skill you learn will help with thinking. Comparing something to monkeys comes from my science book that I could not stand! Why did I write this really, really long post? To show you that 1)I have way too much time on my hands and 2) to prove to you that school may seem boring, but you can think of it as "how can I use this other than for this weeks pop quiz" rather than "I can't wait until the bell rings". I wrote this mostly because of reason one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search