Pages

Monday, November 22, 2010

Family Game Night

Hey ya'll. Sorry for not posting in so long, I had a post written down somewhere and it disappeared. Sometimes disorganization is a blessing, other times a curse. Because I have lost my writing a story post, you get to read another story I wrote. For some reason my short stories are all comedies. I don't know why, and I'm not complaining.

 Family Game Night
 Written November 19, 2010
          So this is how it was. They had turned against me. This was war! They brought it upon themselves, really. They were so eager at first, it was a game to them. Now they were fidgeting nervously, waiting for their cards to be dealt.
          We were in a dimly lit basement room. The tension was so thick you would have needed a jackhammer to cut through it. A crowd of six or seven people were watching and occasionally whispering to one another. Were they placing bets? It was anybody's game, really.
          I motioned for the crowd to be silent. My opponents and I just sat there. The dealer slid us the cards, keeping track of how many each person got. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. Seven cards. I could taste victory on the tip of my tongue. Though the taste was very faint, it was there.
          I arranged the cards in my hand, careful not to show anyone. I was hoping I had the advantage. As my opponents -- or enemies, rather-- scanned the cards they held, I did the same. The person across the table laid down a few cards. I glared at him and laid down a pair of four of hearts.
         The game was nearing its end. It seemed like so much more than a game! The kid across from me asked in his nasty, menacing voice, "Got any twos?" I looked at him for a long time. Then a slow smile stretched across my face. "Go fish," I replied. He laid his head face down on the card table in defeat. That was it. I had won family game night.



Let me know how you like the story! It's not that hard! You can rate it, click one of the check boxes, or if you're really daring, you can comment! And if you are just plain crazy you can share this story with your friends and let them know about how much you love Words on a Page!
         

3 comments:

Search